You’ve got this one precious life — but are you spending it on what matters most?
This is a question I revisit every time I complete a year in review. It’s so important to look back, celebrate your wins, acknowledge your growth, extract the lessons and set the right goals for the upcoming year.
But this isn’t an ordinary year.
The 2010s are coming to a close and we’re about to enter a whole new decade. I don’t know about you, but a lot has happened over the last ten years. Incredible things, hard things, and things my 2010-self would lose her mind over.
There’s a maxim I love from psychologist and computer scientist J.C.R. Licklider: “People overestimate what can be done in one year, and underestimate what can be done in ten.”
Today on MarieTV, you'll discover just how true this statement really is. In honor of the new decade, we're introducing something special: A Decade In Review.
It's a 3-part video series that uses the untapped wisdom of your last decade to make the next ten years your best ever. Each video is short and easy to execute. You can complete them all in one sitting, or take your time doing one per week.
Think of these exercises as a 10-year planning tool. You've got a decade full of possibilities ahead of you, and this Decade In Review will help you make the most of it.
Now let’s dive in!
Decade In Review Part 1: Celebrate Your Wins
Now that you’ve watched, let’s dive in. Grab a journal and pen, and follow the journaling prompts below.
Section 1: What You’re Proud Of
- Over the past 10 years, what have you done that you’re proud of?
- What are the obstacles you’ve overcome?
- What are some of the results you’ve created in your career or life since 2010?
Pull out old calendars, journals, planners, emails, or photos to jog your memory. This may take some time, but it’s worth it.
What Was Most Important & Why
Once you’re done, go back over that list and answer these questions:
- Out of everything you listed, what’s most important? Circle whatever jumps out to you.
- Why is that most important?
When you know the things that have made the biggest difference in the quality of your life, you’ll be able to make wiser decisions as you plan the next ten years.
Section 2: Your Learnings
- What have you learned over these past ten years?
- What wisdom has become crystal clear to you?
- What mistakes did you make and what did you learn from them?
What Was Most Important and Why
Look at the list you just created and ask these questions:
- What lessons were the biggest game-changers?
- Why do these matter to you?
- What do you really want to remember as you move into this brand new decade?
This section is crucial. Review it often so you avoid making the same mistakes.
Decade In Review Part 2: Release Your Past
Part 2 is all about letting go of things that drag you down so you can plan the next 10 years with a clear, purposeful mind. Trust me, you’ll feel so much lighter and freer when you’re done. Get out your journal and follow the prompts below.
Section 3: What You’re Willing to Let Go Of
You’re going to create three separate lists under this section. This will take time, but it’s worth it.
Old Projects & Goals
- Are there any projects that you keep meaning to do, but haven’t made time for?
- Do you have any “I should do this” type goals that you keep putting off?
- Are there any expectations from family, loved ones, or even yourself that aren’t true to your heart?
Old goals and projects are kind of like leftovers in your fridge. Food that you meant to eat, but that’s no good anymore and just taking up valuable space. This list is an opportunity to clean out your mental fridge so you can rock the 2020s without those moldy “shoulds” cluttering your heart and mind.
Resentments, Anger, and Upsets
- Are there any resentments or upsets that you’ve been hanging onto?
- Do you have old emotional baggage that you’re ready to release?
- Is there anybody you need to forgive — including yourself?
Be honest and write it down, even if you don’t know how to forgive or let go in this moment. As long as you’re willing, you’ll figure out a way. Naming and acknowledging is the first step toward healing.
Limiting Beliefs or Crappy Old Stories
- What limiting beliefs have you been carrying for the past ten years?
- What crappy old stories are you telling yourself that no longer serve you?
For example, maybe you’ve been telling yourself that you’re too old or too young to follow your passion. Maybe you’re done believing the story that it’s all been said or done before. Maybe you’re ready to let go of excuses that are holding you back from your biggest dreams. Or maybe it’s time to put that old crappy story — that you’re not good enough or capable enough — to rest once and for all.
Remember, you are so much more powerful and capable than you give yourself credit for.
This is your opportunity to let go of all the negative thoughts and limiting beliefs that hold you back. Do this work now, so they don’t control your next 10 years.
What’s Most Important To Let Go Of and Why?
Once you’re done, go back over each subsection and answer these four questions:
- What are the most important things to let go of? Circle them now.
- Why is it vital you let these things go now?
- What have these goals, resentments, or limiting beliefs cost you over the last decade?
- Are there any experiences or achievements that you haven’t experienced as a result of holding onto these?
Write as much as you want. Remember, purpose fuels persistence.
Decade In Review Part 3: Create Your 10 Year Plan
Now that you’ve laid the groundwork, it’s time for the fun part: figuring out what’s next. Get ready to fire up that imagination and tap into your heart, because Part 3 is where you’ll create your 10-year plan. You know what to do — open your journal and follow the prompts below.
Section 4: What’s Next? What’s My Future?
What do you want to create, experience, or achieve over the next 10 years? What do you want to feel or accomplish in terms of your…
Think about how you want to feel on a more consistent basis? Do you want to experience more freedom and flexibility — if so, to do what exactly?
The goal here is to be as specific and concrete as possible. Envision the best possible decade of your life and let yourself really dream. Don’t underestimate what you can achieve.
My Top 3 Most Important Goals For Next Year
Once you’re done, go back over your list and answer these questions:
- What are the three most important goals you want to focus on over the next 12 months? Circle them now.
- Why are each of these goals important to you?
- Who do you need to become in order to bring each of these goals to life?
- What character traits, habits, or skills do you need to develop to accomplish these goals?
Doing this exercise every year will help you break down all your goals, dreams, and expectations from your 10-year plan, one year at a time. And remember — if you’re feeling any kind of overwhelm over a particular goal, I wrote an entire book that will help you figure it out.
Section 5: What Future You Wants You To Know
Now that you’ve got the tactical goals and dreams written down, you’re going to do one final, highly imaginative exercise to tap into your heart’s wisdom. Imagine yourself ten years in the future, and start writing a letter to current-day you. It can start something like this:
Dear ______, I’d love you to know that…
Let your hand move and write whatever comes to mind. Don’t judge, edit, or pay any attention to grammar, spelling, or punctuation. Trust me, you’ve got so much natural knowing and wisdom inside of you.
If you get stuck, here are some prompts you can experiment with:
- I’d love you to start…
- I’d love you to remember…
- I’d love you to focus on…
I know this might sound a little weird, but it’s powerful stuff. It helps you access deep truths that you know intuitively, and that you’ll be really glad you articulated right now — before the next ten years pass.
Great job. If you’ve completed all three parts of this series, you now have an invaluable treasure map of personal wisdom that’s going to help you make the next ten years more productive, joyful, and meaningful.
Now I’d love to hear from you. What are your top 3 goals for the next year? Leave a comment below and let me know.
Share as much detail as you can. Hundreds of thousands of souls come here for insight and inspiration. Your story may be just what someone needs to see things from a fresh perspective. Important: please share your thoughts and ideas directly in the comments. Links to other posts, videos, etc. may be removed.
Your time matters. By doing this reflective work, you’re setting yourself up to have the best decade ever. Keep going, and honor that wisdom within.
P.S. Share your progress with me! Tag @MarieForleo on social and use the hashtag #MFDecadeInReview so I can cheer you on.
With SO much love ❤️,